This is a Graduate Certificate with an Online Educator emphasis.
The Online Educator Graduate Certificate, offered by the School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, helps students develop the knowledge and skills in eLearning environments. You will prepare for jobs in an expanding field where online education is used in schools, universities, industry, health care, museums and other learning settings.
The certificate curriculum consists of 12 graduate credit hours that may be transferred into SISLT’s M.S. or Ed.Sp. programs. The 12 graduate credit hours apply toward any of the two emphasis areas: Online Education, Technology in Schools.
- For questions about the admission process, particularly for SISLT, contact SISLT@missouri.edu.
- View Learning Technologies Tentative Course Rotation.
- See descriptions of all SISLT classes.
- Use the Online Educator Graduate Certificate Plan of Study Form to establish courses required for the certificate.
Quick Facts Go to top of page. Top
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 12
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
- Estimated program cost: $4,997.88*
*This is an estimate for illustrative purposes only; hours and fees will vary. See more about tuition and financial aid.
- Required (9 credit hours)
- Recommended electives (3 credit hours)
Credit hour limitations:
- A maximum of 3 hours of transfer credits
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- 9471: Instructional Systems Design (3) — Prerequisite for 9485 or taken concurrently
- 9484: Teaching Online Courses (3)
- 9485: Designing Online Learning (3)
Recommended Electives (3 credit hours)
- 7310: Exploring Schoology (1)
- 7361: Introduction to Digital Media (3)
- 7372: Exploring CourseSites (1)
- 7373: Exploring Moodle (1)
- 7374: Exploring Canvas (1)
- 7383: Rapid Development Tools for Online Learning (3)
- 9473: Project Management (3)
- AECT Standard 1 (Content Knowledge): Candidates demonstrate the knowledge necessary to create, use, assess, and manage theoretical and practical applications of educational technologies and processes.
- AECT Standard 2 (Content Pedagogy): Candidates develop as reflective practitioners able to demonstrate effective implementation of educational technologies and processes based on contemporary content and pedagogy.
- AECT Standard 3 (Learning Environments): Candidates facilitate learning by creating, using, evaluating, and managing effective learning environments.
Admission Materials and Criteria
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher (A=4.0) on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work.
- Resume summarizing education and relevant experience.
- A statement of purpose that demonstrates your goals align with our program.
- GRE scores are not required.
- TOEFL scores (if applicable): at least 500 (paper-based) or 61 (Internet-based).
How to Apply
- Prepare electronic versions (e.g., Word files) of your resume and statement of purpose (what you hope your degree will do for you).
- Apply using our convenient online Graduate Application system. Be sure to upload your resume, and statement of purpose.
- Provide an official copy of your transcript from the college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree and your TOEFL scores if English is not your first language.
- Official transcripts should be sent to Graduate Admissions, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211