Congratulations to SISLT’s Library and Information Science Student, Alejandra (Alex) De Santiago, recipient of ALA Spectrum Scholarship

Posted:

Alejandra (Alex) De Santiago

Alejandra (Alex) De Santiago

The School of Information Science & learning Technologies at the University of Missouri is very proud to announce the American Library Association Office for Diversity has awarded Alex De Santiago with a 2015–2016 Spectrum Scholarship. Spectrum Scholars are selected “based on their commitment to diversity, commitment to entering the library profession, demonstrated community outreach, academic ability and achievements and leadership potential.”

Alex commented, “It’s very exciting to have been awarded the Spectrum Scholarship! It’s even more gratifying to know that it was the American Library Association who has recognized me and 59 other graduate students who are all pursuing the same big dream. I feel like my fellow scholarship honorees and myself can together change and diversify the field of library and information studies, so I’m incredibly thankful to be given the opportunity to begin to do so. I will be a full-time student completing my first year of courses online while I remain in St. Louis. In the meanwhile, I will be working at one of the branches of the St. Louis County Library. My ultimate goal is to become an elementary school librarian since it’s so important to encourage our youth at the very start to be curious and to be driven to self-educate. I truly thank the ALA for giving me the chance to take this first step.”

Learn more about the ALA Spectrum Scholarship and the 2015-2016 Scholars: http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2015/07/ala-awards-60-spectrum-scholarships-2015-2016